dearq Journal of Architecture is a semiannual publication (July and December), peer reviewed and indexed in international information services, created in 2007 and financed by the Department of Architecture of Universidad de los Andes (Bogotá, Colombia).
dearq will take into consideration papers that are both original and previously unpublished.
The editorial requirements are divided into four sections:
Theme section (current call for papers).
Research dossier (research-based work, permanent call for papers).
Book reviews (permanent call for papers).
deuniandes (for Universidad de los Andes students and teaching staff only).
Papers that will be considered for publication:
1. Research paper: Text (no longer than 4000 words) must include detailed, original results from a completed research project. The structure should generally follow the standard format: introduction, method, results and conclusion.
2. Discussion paper: An article (no longer than 4000 words) that analytically presents the results of a piece of completed research. It should be written in an interpretive or critical style about a specific topic, using original sources.
3. Review paper: A paper (no longer than 4000 words) based on both published and unpublished research, with the aim of reporting advances and development trends within a field. The paper should present a judicious bibliographical review of no less than fifty sources.
4. Project analysis: This paper should detail, analyse and/or independently elucidate and critique a specific work, relating to architecture, town-planning, or a relating subject. Whatever is being analysed does not have to necessarily already be built. The text should be accompanied by graphics of the highest quality. Paper no longer than 4000 words.
5. Opinion, critique or interview: This should detail an opinion on a subject that is pertinent to the journal. The opinion should be supported with conclusive arguments and be based on a conclusive bibliography.
6. Book review: This document should be a critical review of either one or several books written on a similar subject, no longer than 700 words. It should include the book’s main theme, and should present an argumentative stance relating to the work. The paper should conclude with either a new thought on the subject, with a personal opinion, or a relationship that the book has with another publication or relevant academic concept.
Types 4 and 5 are acceptable for the theme section only.
On submitting an article for publishing, we ask that the author complete a form, which includes information about personal details, academic qualifications, and the originality of the material. The work must be the author’s own, and previously unpublished. When the paper has been reviewed, to check that it complies with the rules of publication, the author will be informed regarding its evaluation.
Every article that is submitted for evaluation, with the exception of types 5 and 6, will be reviewed by at least one anonymous referee. This referee will advise as to whether the paper should be considered for publication, and also any changes that they consider should be made. After this process has been completed the paper will be sent to a member of the journal’s editorial board who will advise as to the suitableness of the paper for publication. Based on the recommendations of the judge and the editorial board, the director of the journal, as well as the editor and the guest editors, will make the final decision as to whether the article will be published. The author will be duly notified of one of the following decisions:
1. The article is accepted without any changes required.
2. The article is accepted under the condition that slight changes are made based on suggestions from the peer reviewers and editorial committee.
3. The article needs substantial modification. The author is invited to redraft the article, taking into account the suggestions made by the peer reviewers and editorial committee. The improved document will be reviewed again, following the same procedure.
4. The article is not to be accepted.
As well as the relevant notification, the author will also receive the referee’s report containing pertinent comments. Contributions of types 5 and 6 will be reviewed solely by the editorial board. The author will receive a letter of acceptance or rejection.
All decisions are made autonomously by the journal’s director, based on the judgements of the editorial committee and the peer reviewers. dearq will not be under any obligation to divulge any further information to the authors regarding the aforementioned decisions.
If accepted, the article will be subject to editing. Before being published, the article will be sent to the author in PDF format. It is mandatory that this final edited layout is authorized for publication.
Once approving the final layout, the author will sign a document that authorizes Universidad de los Andes to market and distribute the article both electronically and in print. The article however, will remain the intellectual property of the author.
Articles must be sent in Word, without having been formatted, in Times New Roman font size 12, with double line spacing and margin sizes: 2.5 × 2.5 × 2.5 × 2.5 cm. The following must be included:
It should include a footnote on the first page, explaining the work undertaken.
For each article, dearq accepts a maximum of six authors. The order of author must be established before submitting the paper for publication. Dearq will name the authors in accordance with the order submitted.
An analytical abstract of the article (no longer than 100 words) describing its content and including conclusions.
Three to seven keywords.
Text should include captions and indications of where they are to be inserted.
Complete bibliographical information of the referenced sources.
The document, including bibliography and captions should not exceed 4000 words.
Tables should be included in the text in such a manner that allows data editing during the layout process. They should be titled (preceded by the word Table) and must be numbered consecutively. Below each table the source(s) of data used should be included.
Figures should have a minimum resolution of 300 dpi and a minimum size of 9 × 13 cm. The maximum number of photographs for submission is 20, of which a selection will be chosen for publication. In the case of project analysis, a high-resolution portrait photograph (minimum size 18 × 24 cm) must be submitted.
Figures must have a caption, (included in the text and preceded by the word Figure), and be consecutively numbered. Captions should include the source or authorship of the image. Figures need to be sent separately in either .jpg or .tiff format, labelled FIG1, FIG2 etc. Any graphic material and maps should be submitted ready to be directly replicated.
Bibliographical references must be in accordance with The Chicago Manual of Style.
- Footnotes should be used and citations should follow the shortened form. Examples:
Ochsendorf, Guastavino Vaulting, 127.
Chapters in books:
Casciato, “Documenting Modern Architecture”, 9.
Lending, “Negotiating Absence”, 569.
- At the end of the text a bibliography should be included that summarizes all the bibliographical information that is referenced. Examples:
Ochsendorf, John. Guastavino Vaulting: The Art of Structural Tile. New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2010.
Chapters in books:
Casciato, Maristella. “Documenting Modern Architecture”. In The Modern Movement in Architecture. Selections from the DOCOMOMO Registers, edited by Dennis Sharp and Catherine Cook, 8-9. Rotterdam: 010 Publishers, 2000.
Lending, Mari. “Negotiating Absence: Bernard Tschumi’s New Acropolis Museum in Athens.” The Journal of Architecture 14, no. 5 (2009): 567-89.
The material to be sent should consist of:
- The document containing the article.
- A folder that contains the images.
- Certification of originality and exclusivity (download document from http://dearq.uniandes.edu.co/documentos/)
- The right to use images, if the images are property of third parties (download document from http://dearq.uniandes.edu.co/documentos/)
To contact the editorial team, please use the following email address: